Beef Stew with Barley
Serve 4-6 people
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 large sized carrot, diced
- ½ cup barley
- 1 cup potato, small diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut to 1-inch
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 ¼ cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat butter in a skillet pan until bubbly.
- Add in flour, stir constantly until well-combined. Add beef stew and brown for 5 minutes. Pour everything in a slow cooker. Add in the onions, barley, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Toss until well-mixed.
- Pour the red wine into the slow cooker along with beef broth, tomato paste, worchestershire sauce, garlic, parsley, and bay leaves.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or until beef is falling apart and tender.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking time, add greenbeans. Taste to know if you need more salt or pepper. If the broth is too thick, add more beef broth. Stir them through before serving.