California Cream Cheese Roll
For sushi rice
- 1 cups sushi rice, cooked
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp simple syrup
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 nori sheets
- ½ cup imitation crab meat, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and julienned
- ½ pack cream cheese, julienned
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Sodium soy sauce
- Wasabi Pickled ginger slices, optional
- Bamboo mat (covered with plastic wrap)
-Prepare the rice
- Combine rice vinegar and simple syrup in a small bowl. Pour over rice and stir until well-mixed
To make the sushi
- Cut nori in half to make you two 3.75 inch x 8 inch pieces.
- Lay one sheet of nori on the mat. Top with a small amount of rice.
- Wet your hands, use your fingertips to spread the rice out to the edges of the nori in a thin even layer.
- Sprinkle the rice with toasted sesame seeds, then flip the rice and nori over so the rice is on the bottom and the nori is facing up.
- Mix crab and mayonnaise until crab is completely coated. Season with black pepper if desired
- On the bottom edge of the nori, put one strip of cream cheese, followed avocado and crab mixture. Do not add too much filling or your roll won’t seal.
- Roll your sushi tightly, using a bamboo mat. Give the matt a press with your hands so it doesn’t fall apart when you cut it.
- Cut to 8 equal pieces.
- Repeat process until you use all the rice. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger if desired.